Pregnancy Tips : How to Prepare for the First Trimester of Pregnancy
Expert Tips to Prepare you for Pregnancy
- Confirm whether you are pregnant or not after a missed period.
- Choose your doctor as per your convenience; make sure she is always available for you.
- Wear cool, comfortable clothing during pregnancy.
- Keep away from infected people.
Now that you have missed a period, the first objective is to confirm whether you are pregnant or not and begin to prepare for the baby's coming.
The easiest way to confirm whether you are pregnant or not is to take a home pregnancy test, eg. Velocit, Pregcolor, Fastrace) with a kit, which should be reliable and standardised. Pregnancy test detects hCG in the urine (pregnancy hormone) which is highest in concentration in the 1st urine sample taken in the morning, though a sample taken at any other time of the day may report positive (2 bright lines on the test).
Congratulations, your Baby is on the Way!
It is a good idea to visit your gynaecologist once the test is positive. If you do not already visit a gynaecologist/obstetrician, referrals from friends may help. Be sure that your doctor is well qualified and has visiting centres where you would want to deliver. You could also visit specialised birthing centres in cities, or visit a well-known maternity hospital and choose your doctor. Be sure you are comfortable with the doctor and that he/she is amenable to answering all your questions. This is important because the doctor will be the sheet anchor of your pregnancy.
Tests you will have to Undergo
Your doctor will reconfirm your pregnancy, do a blood test if required and calculate your expected date of delivery. Let your doctor know about any illness, surgery or medication in the past, any family history of diseases such as hypertension and diabetes, any issues with the previous pregnancies or any problem in conceiving.
Your ultrasound is usually done after two weeks by when the little bunch of cells, which will grow to form your baby, will acquire a heart beat. Till the ultrasound is done, avoid intercourse so that there is surety that all is well.
Check your partner's as well as your blood group. Haemoglobin, blood sugar, thyroid and urine will be checked to rule out any medical problems. Routine HIV & Hepatits B tests will also be done. A test to rule out thalessemia and a rubella test is essential.
Eat and Drink Right
- 10-12 glasses of water and natural fluids like duluted juices, nimbu pani, coconut water, lassi, buttermilk will help you feel bright and energetic.
- You may suffer from nausea, best alleviated with by biscuit in the morning, dry ginger, but the commonest symptom women have is lack of energy & sleepiness.
- Eat seasonal fruits as these will pep you up and provide fibre to prevent constipation.
- Milk, taken in any form provides natural calcium & good proteins.
- Avoid MSG, preservatives laced foods, maida and junk.
- Take lots of proteins in the form of sprouts, black chana, besan or dal chila paneer, eggs, chicken or fish.
Eat small and frequent meals; these may be split from 3 main meals into 6 small ones. Remember that you don’t have to eat for 2; your calorie requirement during pregnancy increases by only 350 calories.
- Wear cool, comfortable clothing. Avoid tight fitted undergarments; prefer cotton as they help your skin breathe.
- Avoid x ray exposure (ultrasounds are safe) and medications without consulting your doctor.
- Stay away from people who are infected.
Take these precautions, enjoy your pregnancy to the hilt and follow your doctor’s advice.
Dr. Meenakshi Ahuja is a Senior Consultant at Fortis La Femme.
Video: Pregnancy Tips : Taking Prenatal Vitamins While Trying to Get Pregnant
The Happiest People of All
How to Kill the Queen Ant
The Only TV Guide You Need This Thanksgiving Day
Green surroundings reduce stress and anxiety, says a study
How to Overcome Overeating
How to Make Cendol
Stopping Blood Thinners Raises Stroke Risk for Patients With Irregular Heartbeat
Yoga as an Art Form
What to Wear With Maxi Skirts in Fall and Winter
The 9-Move Circuit Workout That Will Help You Torch Fat Fast
8 Essential Foods For All-Day Energy
Now Playing: Know your spirits: Whisky